CIVICUS is looking for a Multilingual Communication Officer, who is not only able to generate content for our vibrant website and other publications, but is also able to meaningfully translate existing content into other languages.
We are looking for an extremely enthusiastic and skilled person to:
• Translate, edit and review civil society content;
• Edit website content; and
• Assist in the development of content, toolkits and newsletters.
Who you are
You are an energetic, multilingual and media savvy individual, who thrives on bringing the message across. You understand and have considerable experience in specific civil society lingo and are engaged by civil society work, citizen action and trends within these. You are energised by media messaging and driven by the need to enable other language speakers to understand and participate. You are a self-starter, who thrives under tight deadlines and enjoys a fast pace.
You will ideally be located in Johannesburg, South Africa, or one of our hubs.
Who we are
CIVICUS is a global alliance of civil society organisations and activists dedicated to strengthening citizen action and civil society around the world. We strive to promote marginalised voices, especially from the Global South, and have members in more than 170 countries throughout the world. Since 1993, we have been dedicated to enhancing the rights, freedoms, health and vitality of civil society as a whole. We’re also a global team, using new technologies to connect us around the world. We’re passionate about what we do.
• We work for civil society, protecting and growing `civic space’ – the freedoms of expression, association and assembly - that allow citizens and organisations to speak out, organise and take action.
• We monitor, research and analyse global events and trends that impact civil society.
• We strengthen civil society by bringing it together to generate and share knowledge, to improve its working and to act collectively.
• We work to ensure that civil society voices are heard. To achieve impact we communicate, campaign and advocate.
• Be part of the leading global alliance of civil society organisations and activists.
• Be part of a global, highly effective team, driven by civil society.
• Grow and be challenged by the dynamic responses to our ever-changing world.
• Global outlook with meaningful content and the passion and drive to make a change wherever you are.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES:
• Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in communications, languages and literature, translation and interpreting or similar;
• 3 – 5 years’ experience in communications, editing and translation;
• 1 – 2 years’ experience in a civil society organisation;
• Excellent written and verbal communications skills;
• Excellent fluency in French, English, and Spanish;
• Fluency in other UN languages (Mandarin, Portuguese, Russian, or Arabic) desirable;
• Computer, internet and website proficiency (Joomla, MS Office, SharePoint, etc.);
• Understanding of civil society and citizen action issues and trends;
• Planning and time management skills as well as attention to details and ability to work independently and in a team;
• Ability to grasp and convey civil society terminology and messages in other languages;
• Good interpersonal/networking skills;
• Conscientious self-starter;
• Planning and time management skills;
• Deadline driven, with ability to multi-task.
SPECIFIC TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Translation, editing and review of CIVICUS communications (70%)
• In collaboration with communications team, plan, implement, and drive multilingual communications to reach CIVICUS’ global audience. Review translation guidelines, glossary and internal processes as appropriate;
• Based on CIVICUS glossary, translate and adapt CIVICUS communication materials to target audience in French and Spanish, and other UN official languages, as required; and
• Manage additional translation needs associated with recruitment and contracting of volunteers and/or professional translators, providing quality control for all translations done externally – including in other UN official languages.
2. Editing of website contents (20%)
• Compile, draft, edit and upload content for CIVICUS websites, blogs and social platforms, especially in French and Spanish, and occasionally English;
• Ensure online communications are distributed in several languages at all times; and
• In collaboration with webmaster, develop the French and Spanish (and other language) functionality of the website.
3. Support development of content, toolkits and newsletters (10%)
• Support production of materials and content in French and Spanish, in coordination with communication and membership teams and capacity-building officer; and
• Support design process of toolkits, newsletters and other materials in post-translation stages.
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
Start date: As soon as possible
Duration: 1 year contract
To apply, please submit :
• A motivational letter;
• A detailed CV;
• Contact details of three current references;
Please apply as soon as possible - the vacancy will be open until filled.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Should you not have heard from us within 2 weeks after your application, please consider your application as being unsuccessful.