CIVICUS, the global civil society alliance, is looking for an experienced former journalist and media strategist to work with our globally-focused communications team, in the position of Senior Media Advisor for a six-month consultancy period. The successful candidate will be a highly accomplished media professional with impeccable news-gathering, story development and multi-format content production experience.
You will be as comfortable in front of the camera as writing and editing in a variety of formats - from opinion editorials to blogs and press releases - and working with a wider team to produce podcasts, filmed interviews and content for social media. You will join a growing communications team committed to working with rights defenders and marginalized people and communities, to tell their stories in a way that engages, influences and calls to action a wide variety of global and national audiences.
The Senior Media Advisor will lead news-gathering, working with CIVICUS’ Policy and Research and Memberships teams, and in partnership with CIVICUS Alliance members - from individual activists to social change organisations from around the world - as we work collectively to protect and enhance our basic human rights, freedoms, as well as the health and vitality of civil society.
We are looking for a self-starting, team player to play a key advisory role and bring a newsroom sensibility as we strengthen our media and communications approach. You will be a media specialist who can think about long term media engagement strategies and content production and workflow approaches, then work with a diverse, virtual team to make them happen.
You will have excellent global media contacts, excel in building and maintaining media relationships, and will work with your colleagues to develop and place compelling stories with a wide range of media outlets.
We are looking for an enthusiastic, skilled colleague with extensive newsroom experience to:
- pro-actively lead CIVICUS’ international, regional, and national media work to advance the efforts of the CIVICUS Alliance to protect freedoms of expression, association and assembly and fight back against closing civic space;
- work within the communications team to develop and implement creative media strategies, cultivate media relationships, and ensure diverse content outputs and cross-platform publication;
- provide expert advice on how to step up our existing media engagement by telling compelling stories in creative formats, that will help break out of traditional echo chambers, and reach a wide variety of audiences;
- play a strong editorial role – writing and editing content, mentoring writers, and encouraging new ways of thinking about story telling across audio and filmed formats;
- strengthen capacity across the organisation and CIVICUS Alliance to produce great, engaging content, through training and mentoring; and
- Conduct media trainings for CIVICUS spokespeople and CIVICUS Alliance members.
CIVICUS is global alliance of civil society organisations and activists dedicated to strengthening citizen action and civil society around the world. We strive to promote marginalised voices, especially from the Global South, and have members in more than 170 countries throughout the world. We work for civil society, protecting and growing `civic space’ – the freedoms of expression, association and assembly - that allow citizens and organisations to speak out, organise and take action.
CIVICUS is currently reviewing its Strategic Priorities for 2017-2022, which includes a review of our communications and campaigning priorities and approaches. The Senior Media Advisor will play an important role in helping shape CIVICUS’ future communications strategy, during this review period. It is currently expected that a full time media advisor role will be recruited for following the completion of this review.
Scope and Deliverables
The overall goal of the consultancy is to work within the communications team to pro-actively lead CIVICUS’ international, regional, and national media work. The Senior Advisor will be responsible CIVICUS’ media engagement, including developing and implementing creative media strategies, cultivating media relationships, and ensuring diverse content outputs and cross-platform publication.
Key deliverables will include:
- Working in collaboration with the communications team, lead the drafting of a media strategy that responds to the needs addressed in these Terms of Reference, and act as a guide for the organisation to enhance visibility and advance our agenda to protect and enable civic space, in and through the media.
- Proactively identify and pursue opportunities across a broad range of mediums and outlets – print, broadcast, online, mainstream, specialist etc.
- Play a lead editorial role – content panning; lead the preparation of / editing of press releases, media statements, opeds, articles, and other press materials.
- Develop and lead implementation of strategies to cultivate media relationships, as well as put in place relevant systems for media monitoring.
- Advise on the rapidly changing global media environment – from new approaches to telling stories, to social media and citizen generated storytelling.
- Develop and implement a capacity strengthening plan to enhance our abilities to work with and through media.
- Contribute to a broad range of content – from drafting media fact sheets to creating stunning visuals, through to audio and video production.
- At least 10 years relevant experience in similar role in media/ journalism, extensive experience in a newsroom setting
- Understanding of international political and human rights issues and specifically related to civic space, human rights, United Nations, etc;
- Extensive experience in producing a wide range of quality materials for print and/or broadcast media, as well as for social media platforms;
- Strong knowledge of international, regional and national media – across traditional and digital platforms – with established contacts at key publications and broadcast outlets;
- Sound understanding of media relations management including updating and maintaining relationships with media contacts;
- Experience in media monitoring, analysis and reporting; Experience in providing spokespeople support and in developing and conducting media training, including in effective interview techniques;
- Willingness to work collaboratively with the team and the alliance, and strengthen capacity throughout.
- Excellent English language skills, other UN languages advantageous.
Please send your expression of interest, including:
- Budget/ cost estimated including all costs.
- Availability -start date and for 6-month period
- CV/ samples of similar assignments