CIVICUS, the global civil society alliance, is looking for an extraordinary and inspiring global Campaign Coordinator, to take our flagship public engagement campaign, the Global Day of Citizen Action 2017 to another level.
Why? We live in a remarkable era in human history. Never before have so many people across the globe enjoyed such freedoms, connection, and power to change their communities and the world for the better. Yet our fundamental freedoms of expression, association and assembly are threatened by the very individuals and institutions that exist to serve and protect us.
To defend and protect them will take all of us, everywhere, from all walks of life, to realise our place as members of civil society and to stand together.
This is an opportunity help push back against the closing of civic space globally, by running our campaigns to raise public awareness of the importance of civic space and our fundamental freedoms. The campaign will link together components including the Global Day of Citizen Action campaign, the Be the Change web platform, the Nelson Mandela-Graça Machel Innovation Awards to be held at CIVICUS’ International Civil Society Week 2017 (ICSW 2017) as well a number of key media fellowships.
We are looking for an extremely enthusiastic and skilled team member to:
- Develop an impactful programme of events from GDCA through to ICSW 2017
- Power up and convene global actions and major mobilisations with a diverse range key partners for GDCA 2017
- Provide event, financial, team and project coordination
Who you are
GDCA 2017 has two guiding principles: building global and national campaigns in participation with CIVICUS Alliance partners; and strengthening the capacity of everyone we work with. So you will be an experienced facilitator, campaign strategist and thinking partner, who work with activists and campaigners and inspire partnerships that can build powerful actions and mobilsiations across the world.
You will be an energetic event planner who thrives on making an event a success, getting the right people in the room, facilitating meaningful connections and delivering programme content that matters. You understand and have considerable global civil society experience and knowledge of civil society trends. You are a self-starter, who thrives under tight deadlines and enjoys a fast pace.
You will also be an innovative digital campaigner with proven global and national experience at implementing, and an ability to train on a new generation of digital campaigning tools CIVICUS is helping to roll out. And you will be a prudent budget owner of a sizeable campaign budget, ensuring that every dollar spent powers major actions and a lasting skills legacy.
Who we are
CIVICUS is a global alliance of civil society organisations and activists dedicated to strengthening citizen action and civil society around the world. We strive to promote marginalised voices, especially from the Global South, and have members in more than 170 countries throughout the world. Since 1993, we have been dedicated to enhancing the rights, freedoms, health and vitality of civil society as a whole. We’re also a global team, using new technologies to connect us around the world. We’re passionate about what we do.
- We work for civil society, protecting and growing `civic space’ – the freedoms of expression, association and assembly - that allow citizens and organisations to speak out, organise and take action.
- We monitor, research and analyse global events and trends that impact civil society.
- We strengthen civil society by bringing it together to generate and share knowledge, to improve its working and to act collectively.
- We work to ensure that civil society voices are heard. To achieve impact we communicate, campaign and advocate.
- Be part of the leading global alliance of civil society organisations and activists.
- Be part of a global, highly effective team, driven by civil society.
- Grow and be challenged by the dynamic responses to our ever-changing world.
- Global outlook with meaningful content and the passion and drive to make a change wherever you are.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES:
- Degree in the Media, Communication, Public Relations or similar; and
- 5-8 years relevant experience in similar global campaigning role.
- Track record of success in campaign strategy and implementation, at local, national, and global levels.
- Be familiar with civil society, development and human rights issues and understand the challenges faced by marginalised citizens and organisations, especially those in the Global South.
- Understanding of networks and coalition-building in civil society and across sectors.
- In depth understanding of off and online public engagement campaigning tactics, including for grassroots mobilisation, digital campaigning and media engagement.
- Computer literate at advanced level: MS Office; collaborative applications including Google Docs;
- Experience of working in dispersed, virtual teams working in different countries and cultures.
- Demonstrable experience in programme and budget management.
- Experience working with established and latest digital campaigning platforms and tools.
- Supervisory management
- Budget control responsibility
MAIN ACTIVITIES OF THE ROLE:
- Refine GDCA 2017 strategy on-going, ensuring distributability and adaptability, working with national, regional and global partners
- Develop approach to Innovation Awards, Be the Change online platform and media fellowships.
- Ensure increased impact of the 2017 campaign by implementing a campaign strategy that:
- works with and through participatory partnerships with national and local CIVICUS Alliance and wider civil society members, to develop global and national actions and narratives;
- uses data to effectively run the campaign and monitor and report on it;
- identifies new audiences and engagement opportunities, and ensures widespread public awareness amongst agreed audiences; and
- strengthens existing, and builds new partnerships across civil society and across sectors; and
- maximises the linkages between the Global Day of Citizen Action; Innovation Awards; Be the Change online platform; and media fellowships.
- Provide on-going capacity strengthening support to local and national campaigning teams and partners as they develop national actions, including through delivery of campaign planning and digital campaigning tools, workshops.
- Provide logistical and financial administration – manage campaign budget; micro-grant making, awards administration travel, etc. supported by a campaign administrator.
- Oversee the global digital campaign;
- Manage the public facing campaign platform, working with the CIVICUS Communications team members;
Toolbox and Content Production
- To power distributed actions, oversee the development of comms products and a campaign tool box to include content for online campaigning, and web and media-ready content;
- Work with selected Media Fellows to produce and publish stories around the campaign.
Location: Flexible (at any CIVICUS hub/office), with a strong preference for Johannesburg, South Africa
Start date: As soon as possible
Salary: US$50,000 per annum, depending on experience
Duration: 9 months contract
To apply, please submit:
- A motivational letter;
- A detailed CV;
Deadline for submission of applications: Open until filled
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Should you not have heard from us within 2 weeks after your application, please consider your application as being unsuccessful.