CIVICUS is looking for a Data Specialist to expand our data generation infrastructure. You will be the contact for all globally based employees of CIVICUS.
We are looking for a technology savvy, energetic and Data fundi to:
• Assess, develop and maintain data for a fast passed data driven industry.
• Have a special interest and passion for researching and staying abreast with new developments within the IT and Systems field to enable CIVICUS to continually enhance its overall business efficiency.
Who you are
You are an experienced Data Specialist with demonstrable skills in design, development, maintenance, management and administration of comprehensive relational databases. You thrive on challenges, enjoy interacting with people from different cultures and countries and are passionate about introducing others to new tech developments, ways of exploiting data, translating technical terms into easy to understand lingo etc.
Who we are
CIVICUS is a global alliance of civil society organisations and activists dedicated to strengthening citizen action and civil society around the world. We strive to promote marginalised voices, especially from the Global South, and have members in more than 175 countries throughout the world. Since 1993, we have been dedicated to enhancing the rights, freedoms, health and vitality of civil society as a whole. We’re also a global team, using new technologies to connect us around the world. We’re passionate about what we do. We share links to provocative articles and talk about what they mean to us. The highlight of our week is having an impassioned conversation with an activist or social change group about what’s happing in the world around us.
• We work for civil society, protecting and growing `civic space’ – the freedoms of expression, association and assembly - that allow citizens and organisations to speak out, organise and take action.
• We monitor, research and analyse global events and trends that impact civil society.
• We strengthen civil society by bringing it together to generate and share knowledge, to improve its working and to act collectively.
• We work to ensure that civil society voices are heard. To achieve impact we communicate, campaign and advocate.
• Be part of the leading global alliance of civil society organisations and activists.
• Be part of a global, highly effective team, driven by civil society.
• Grow and be challenged by the dynamic responses to our ever-changing world.
• Global outlook with meaningful content and the passion and drive to make a change wherever you are.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS, COMPETENCIES & EXPERIENCE:
• Relevant tertiary qualification (diploma and or degree) Degree (s) in Data Analytics and Science
• At least five years’ professional experience of data management, manipulation, etc.
• Applied budget development, monitoring and expense control experience.
• Organisational fit for a fast - paced organisation.
• Demonstrated track record of diverse data stream coordination and analysis.
• Deadline driven.
• Attention to detail.
• High degree of familiarity with qualitative and quantitative data methods
• Computer literate: MS Office suite.
• Thorough understanding of ICT and CRM systems (database applications).
• Thorough understanding of data analytics methods and use of relevant software (e.g. SPSS or STATA)
• Ability to plan, manage substantial budgets and implement organisational development strategies.
• Familiarity with systems used regularly by CIVICUS (e.g. DevResults, Microsoft, SAGE).
SPECIFIC TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Database Infrastructure
• Assesses data generation infrastructure
• Develop data generation infrastructure;
• Maintain data generation infrastructure.
2. Analytics and Innovation
• Map analytics on organization-wide data stream;
• Lead analytics on organization-wide data stream;
• Support innovation work with data input.
3. Capacity Building
• Provide capacity building and internal support to staff and leadership on data usage and innovation.
• Prepare functionality for new projects as and when required
Location: CIVICUS Head Office, Johannesburg (preference will be given to South African citizens
or those, who have the right to work in South Africa)
Start date: Aug/Sept 2017
Remuneration: Market related, commensurate with experience
To apply, please submit:
A motivational letter and or a detailed CV with Contact details of three current references.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Should you not have heard from us within 2 weeks after your application, please consider your application as being unsuccessful.