CIVICUS, the global civil society alliance, is looking for an Advocacy Assistant to assist the Advocacy and Campaigns Cluster.
We are looking for an extremely enthusiastic and skilled team member to:
- Provide support to the Advocacy and Campaigns Cluster by assessing and processing applications for the Crisis Response Fund, which supports civil society organisations responding to civic space restrictions, and the SPEAK Campaign.
Who you are
You will be an individual who thrives on working with numbers and who knows the importance of attention to detail. Administration is your strength.
You understand global civil society and have knowledge of civil society trends. You are a self-starter, who thrives under tight deadlines and enjoys a fast pace.
Who we are
CIVICUS is a global alliance of civil society organisations and activists dedicated to strengthening citizen action and civil society around the world. We strive to promote marginalised voices, especially from the Global South, and have members in more than 170 countries throughout the world. Since 1993, we have been dedicated to enhancing the rights, freedoms, health and vitality of civil society as a whole. We’re also a global team, using new technologies to connect us around the world. We’re passionate about what we do.
- We work for civil society, protecting and growing `civic space’ – the freedoms of expression, association and assembly - that allow citizens and organisations to speak out, organise and take action.
- We monitor, research and analyse global events and trends that impact civil society.
- We strengthen civil society by bringing it together to generate and share knowledge, to improve its working and to act collectively.
- We work to ensure that civil society voices are heard. To achieve impact we communicate, campaign and advocate.
- Be part of the leading global alliance of civil society organisations and activists.
- Be part of a global, highly effective team, driven by civil society.
- Grow and be challenged by the dynamic responses to our ever-changing world.
- Global outlook with meaningful content and the passion and drive to make a change wherever you are.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Undergraduate degree in Development studies, International relations, Social work or related
- Experience/ interest in the non-profit sector
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Fluent in English;
- Good writing and communication skills;
- Numeracy skills;
- Financial/book keeping skills
- Administration skills
- Computer literacy; and
- Knowledge of national/ regional/global civil society
- Good interpersonal skills
- Good networking skills
- Planning and time management skills
- Deadline driven
- Ability to multi-task
MAIN ACTIVITIES OF THE ROLE:
- Initial assessment of grant applications for the Crisis Response Fund (CRF) and follow up with potential grantees;
- Ensure CRF grants adhere to our guidelines and the donor requirements;
- Drafting contracts, liaising with Finance on payments to CRF grantees;
- Quarterly financial reporting and supporting documentation for the CRF;
- Monitoring & Evaluation of CIVICUS grantee projects according to the donor and CIVICUS requirements;
- Provide support to the SPEAK campaign
- Ensure integration of Advocacy & Campaigning projects/ programmes into organization initiatives; and
- Other additional support to the Advocacy and Campaigns Cluster as the need arises.
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
Start date: As soon as possible
Salary: US$19,330 per annum, depending on experience
Duration: 2 year contract
To apply, please submit:
- A motivational letter;
- A detailed CV;
Deadline for submission of applications: Open until filled
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Should you not have heard from us within 2 weeks after your application, please consider your application as being unsuccessful.