Network Development Specialist
At CIVICUS our focus is simple: to strengthen civil society and citizen action around the world. We believe that together we are stronger. Our supporters are inspired by hope for a better world and work to strengthen civil society through campaigning and international solidarity.
WHAT WE DO:
- We monitor, research and analyse global events and trends that impact civil society.
- We strengthen civil society by bringing it together to generate and share knowledge, to improve its working and to act collectively.
- We work to ensure that civil society voices are heard. To achieve impact we communicate, campaign and advocate.
HOW WE DO THIS:
In seeking to amplify the voices and opinions of ordinary people CIVICUS adheres to certain principles in the way we act:
- Justice and Equality - CIVICUS believes in the equality and dignity of every person, and that all people should be free to exercise their rights as citizens as defined in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
- Reciprocity - CIVICUS exists to ensure that people treat one another with the respect with which they themselves wish to be treated. Civil society cannot thrive without mutual respect.
- Knowledge - CIVICUS realizes that, in order to increase its global awareness of civil society and before it can assist to take action, it needs to form alliances with other concerned bodies to increase its influence and knowledge.
- Vision - CIVICUS is realistic about conflict in today’s world, but remains optimistic that most people, organisations, governments and businesses will work together for the benefit of all.
- Principled Courage - CIVICUS will always promote civil justice and pledges to act in a manner that honours the principles of democratic civil society.
Overall purpose of the role:
To support the development of CIVICUS networks through strategy development. Advise and support CIVICUS initiatives on implementing good practice in network engagement, especially related to CIVICUS Communities of Practice
Specific tasks and responsibilities:
KPA: Network Strategy
- Support the development and implementation of CIVICUS' 2017-2022 Membership Strategy;
- Identify and develop interventions aimed at coalition building in support of CIVICUS' strategic goals.
KPA: Internal Coordination
- Oversee organisational coordination in relation to internal civil society verification practices.
- Develop and support implementation of common organisational approaches to network engagement based on best practice, especially related to CIVICUS Communities of Practice
- Advise and support CIVICUS initiatives on implementing good practice in network engagement based on global trends, best practice, approaches and tools.
Required qualifications and experience:
- Degree in International Relations or Development Studies or Equivalent;
- Specialist qualifications in subjects such as networks, membership or communications would be beneficial.
- 5 years’ minimum experience in an NGO environment.
- Experience of being active in civil society, as a professional and/or volunteer.
Key capabilities, knowledge and Skills
- Basic understanding customer relations principles.
- Thorough understanding of networking principles.
- Basic understanding of marketing principles.
- Basic understanding of IT and information management systems.
- Good understanding of NGO environment.
Location: From one of the CIVICUS Hubs, preferably in Johannesburg.
Start date: Immediate (on Availability)
Salary: Market related, commensurate with experience.