Advocacy and Campaigns Coordinator
CIVICUS, the global civil society alliance, is looking for an Advocacy and Campaigns Coordinator to assist with its global advocacy activities and advocacy at the United Nations Human Rights Council (UNHRC) in Geneva.
We are looking for an extremely enthusiastic, dynamic and skilled team member to:
• Interpret and synthesize information about global trends related to civil society and international issues within CIVICUS’ Mission, Vision, Values, and Strategic direction and Stakeholder needs.
• Contribute to the implementation of CIVICUS’ Advocacy deliverables at the UNHRC and assist in the formulation of CIVICUS’ external messaging and advocacy strategies.
• Lead advocacy activities with CIVICUS members and partners working at national, regional and international levels in response to restrictions on civic space.
Who you are
You are a dynamic, communicator who is passionate about human rights and knowledgeable about civic space. You will ideally have experience with the United Nations systems and specifically with the UNHRC. You have prior knowledge and experience of ways to advocate successfully to influence decisions by government or international human rights mechanisms. You will be good at advocacy and at networking with various stakeholders. You will have a passion for the causes that CIVICUS stands for and more so, for those that we serve.
You understand global civil society and have knowledge of civil society trends. You are a self-starter, who thrives under tight deadlines and enjoys a fast pace. You are keen to live and work in Johannesburg, South Africa or Geneva, Switzerland. You should be willing to travel at least three times a year to Geneva if you are based in Johannesburg and at least two times a year to Johannesburg if based in Geneva.
Who we are
CIVICUS is a global alliance of civil society organizations and activists dedicated to strengthening citizen action and civil society around the world. We strive to promote marginalized voices, especially from the Global South, and have members in more than 170 countries throughout the world. Since 1993, we have been dedicated to enhancing the rights, freedoms, health and vitality of civil society. We’re also a global team, using new technologies to connect us around the world. We’re passionate about what we do.
• We work for civil society, protecting and growing `civic space’ – the freedoms of expression, association and assembly - that allow citizens and organisations to speak out, organise and take action.
• We monitor, research and analyse global events and trends that impact civil society.
• We strengthen civil society by bringing it together to generate and share knowledge, to improve its working and to act collectively.
• We work to ensure that civil society voices are heard. To achieve impact, we communicate, campaign and advocate.
• Be part of the leading global alliance of civil society organizations and activists.
• Be part of a global, highly effective team, driven by civil society.
• Grow and be challenged by the dynamic responses to our ever-changing world.
• Global outlook with meaningful content and the passion and drive to make a change wherever you are.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
• Post graduate Degree in International Relations/ Law, Politics, or relevant Social sciences or equivalent from a reputable university.
• 5 years’ experience in an international Policy development or advocacy environment or
• 5 years in a Civil Society/ governance/ academic, or other environment related to politics or social development.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
• Good understanding of international relations and development policy making
• Ability to synthesize and process information related to development and political issues.
• Good understanding of Civil society/ international relations/ political Environment.
• Working knowledge of the United Nations Systems, especially those pertaining to human rights (UNHRC, Committees and special procedures)
• Computer literate: MS Office
• Ability to understand and implement Organizational strategies
• Ability to network at a high level with diplomats
• Good understanding of civic space trends and networks in Asia or Latin America will be an advantage
• Good interpersonal skills
• Good presentation skills
• Good written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to meet deadlines
• Good communication skills
• Commitment to Human Rights values.
Manage Projects budgets of $100 00 - $300 000 per annum (Partner travel, workshops, etc.)
MAIN ACTIVITIES OF THE ROLE:
1. UN Advocacy:
• Follow UNHRC agenda closely and analyze outcomes from UNHRC and relevant bodies as they relate to civil society
• Develop, along with the advocacy & campaigns cluster, strategies to enhance civil society engagement at UN
• Implement advocacy plans per thematic/ geographic issue
• Build key relationships with diplomats and other CSOs as well as UNHRC staff
• Conduct regular stakeholder/power mapping
• Attend all UNHRC and external meetings relevant to civil society
• Advocate for those in civil society that do not have a voice at the UNHRC
• Identify areas for development of Policy positions and submissions for CIVICUS
• Develop oral and written statements, concept notes for side events, papers, speaking points.
2. Support function for CIVICUS staff and Partners
• Ability to interpret global events and UNHRC outcomes relevant to civil society and communicate these to CIVICUS teams;
• Strong support for CIVICUS advocacy and campaigns team as well as other CIVICUS units;
• Practical support to HRDs and activists coming to Geneva;
• Assist HRDs and activists coming to Geneva in their advocacy objectives
• Produce reports, papers, policy briefs and other written materials for CIVICUS
• Coordinate an online campaign for human rights defenders in detention or facing persecution
• Maintain close working relationship with CIVICUS HQ and NYC offices.
3. Representing CIVICUS in Geneva
• Attend relevant meetings both inside and outside UNHRC to represent CIVICUS and share information from meetings with membership;
• Support the Head of Geneva office in stakeholder engagement and relationship building;
• Support head of Geneva office in representing CIVICUS at meetings, workshops, and training – often speaking on CIVICUS projects and research findings.
Location: Johannesburg or Geneva
Start date: As soon as possible
Salary: Negotiable dependent on experience
Duration: 2 year initial
To apply, please submit :
• A motivational letter;
• A detailed CV;
Deadline for submission of applications: Open until filled
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Should you not have heard from us within 2 weeks after your application, please consider your application as being unsuccessful.