We hope you’ll join us on Monday, 27 June at 9am EDT/2pm BST/4pm EAT (additional timezones) for a DataShift community call on Africa’s Voices’ experiences and lessons learned implementing citizen-generated data initiatives.
Africa’s Voices has 5 years of experience collecting and using data from African citizens via radio and SMS. Claudia Lopes and Rainbow Wilcox of Africa’s Voices identified three common challenges that many organisations working with citizen-generated data face:
- how to build and sustain citizen engagement,
- how to collect and analyse local language data, without relying on translation, and
- how to demonstrate validity and credibility of citizen data.
Claudia and Rainbow will present Africa’s Voices’ experiences addressing these challenges and several case studies from their work in East Africa to illustrate what they have learned. We hope you’ll join us to learn about these experiences , ask questions, and share your own knowledge on these topics.
How to join the call
We’ll use a platform called UberConference for this call. At the time of the event, follow these simple steps to join the call:
- Using Firefox or Chrome, go to https://www.uberconference.com/datashift.
- Plug in your headset with a microphone (this makes the sound quality much better) and select “Mic & Speakers” from the 3 audio options. (If you have trouble using your computer for audio, you can connect using your phone by dialing 607-821-4667 or downloading the UberConference app.)
- If you’re up for it, please upload a picture that others will see during the meeting.
If you have any questions, or run into any problems joining the call, please contact Kristin at kristin [at] theengineroom.org.
We look forward to exploring these topics with you!