Does your organisation work to build a more just and peaceful world? Does your work help empower and engage citizens to take action on issues that affect us all?
If so, consider entering the CIVICUS “Active Citizens” Photography Competition!
The competition is being held in the run-up to International Civil Society Week 2016 under the banner: “Active Citizens, Accountable Actions”.
The competition is open to all voting members of the CIVICUS World Alliance. Voting members (organisations or individual members) are invited to submit entries relating to the conference’s themes: peace, inclusion, enabling environment, and participation.
Eligibility, Judging & Prizes
Each individual voting member or organisation may submit up to 8 photos (max. 2 photos per category:
- peace: creating positive pathways to affect durable and non-violent social change, and upholding universal human rights commitments;
- enabling environment: protecting the right to come together, take action and speak out, while acknowledging our responsibilities and enhancing our effectiveness;
- inclusion: embracing multiple voices and exercising principled courage in addressing controversial issues for true representation and legitimate actions;
- participation: creating opportunities for meaningful civil society engagement in governance and decision-making processes, and holding power-bearers to account..
There will be a total of three cash prizes: A top prize of $500 (USD), and two runner-up prizes of $250 each.
Prize winners will be selected by a panel of CIVICUS staff. Winning entries will be selected and contestants informed of the panel’s decisions by June 2016.
Note: CIVICUS reserves the right to not award prizes if the judges rule that there is no winner in a specific category.
What We’re Looking for
We’re looking for images that best represent civil society in action and our members’ efforts to protect and promote civic space. Photos may be displayed during ICSW 2016, as well as featured on social media, including the CIVICUS website and Twitter, Facebook and YouTube channels.
Photos may also be used for other CIVICUS publications and/or at CIVICUS events in the future. Ownership of all photos remains with the photographers and/or the organisations submitting the photographs, and their use will be credited accordingly by CIVICUS.
So please send us:
- High quality, powerful photos that illustrate effective and inspiring efforts by and for civil society;
- Images that illustrate exciting actions towards: i) peace, ii) enabling environment, iii) inclusion, and iv) participation;
- Photos that tell a story, capture a moment, or represent the successes or challenges of civil society action.
Keep in mind that all entries must:
- Be the original work of the applicant
- Not infringe on the rights of others
- Be respectful of the rights, sensitivities, and culture of persons depicted
- Give an accurate reflection of the subject matter and scene as it appeared, without alteration (other than standard optimization, including removal of dust, cropping, adjustments to colour and contrast, etc.)
You can read tips about what makes a great photo at the following links:
The entry period starts Wednesday 16 March, 2016 and will close on Friday 8 April 2016 at Midnight GMT. Entries submitted after the closing date will not be considered.
- Entry is limited to original photos to which the applicant (photographer, organisation submitting the photographs, or both) holds all rights.
- Each applicant is limited to submitting a total of 2 photographs per category (8 in total), with required descriptive caption for every photograph. (Valid entries require a one line description about the photograph, and the photographer’s name, if the photographer is to be credited).
- File size: Up to 2 MB per photo
- File format: JPEG/300dpi (Winners may be requested to provide higher resolution images for publication or display purposes.)
DOWNLOAD APPLICATION FORM
Once your application is complete, please upload it here: https://goo.gl/2KsqyD