Digital Engagement Officer
At CIVICUS our focus is simple: to strengthen civil society and citizen action for a more just, inclusive and sustainable world. We do this by defending civic freedoms and democratic values; strengthening the power of people to organise, mobilise and take action; and empowering a more accountable, effective and innovative civil society.
We work for civil society, protecting and growing `civic space’, by which we mean: the freedoms of expression, association and assembly - the fundamental freedoms that enable organisations and individuals the right to speak out, organise and take action. We strive to promote excluded voices, especially from the Global South, and have a growing alliance of more than 4000 members in more than 175 countries.
We know that this is a time of big global challenges for civil society and the world, but we also know that our members and partners have big responses. Our role is to connect, amplify and scale these responses
and, in doing so, strengthen the contribution of citizen action and civil society.
Drawing on over 25 years of experience, we are working to build on our strengths while also exploring new ways of working. CIVICUS’ Strategic Plan 2017-2022 sets the strategic direction for the secretariat and alliance. It articulates who we are, what we strive to achieve, how we work and how we define our success.
How we make a difference:
Given the nature and extent of the challenges facing humanity we believe in being bold and creative by:
- Building solidarity among civil society across borders and at scale
- Supporting civil society to connect with others
- Producing timely and world-class knowledge and analysis
- Advocating for open spaces and systemic change
- Amplifying voices of those usually not included
- Promoting resourcing of a diverse and resilient civil society
- Innovating and incubating bold initiatives
- Promoting, modeling and disseminating civil society best practices
DESCRIPTION OF ROLE:
CIVICUS is looking for an experienced Digital Communications and Engagement officer who will work with networks and impact and accountability staff to produce and disseminate youth related communications, communicate the knowledge about Goalkeepers Youth Accelerator and develop and implement a targeted communications strategy for key stakeholders involved in the accelerator and the Youth Working Group goals.
Communications Support (50%)
- Produce content and maintain online communications platforms
- Upload articles for the websites, fix non-technical issues
- Use web analytics to contribute to understanding of how audiences engage with content
- Develop and implement targeted digital communications strategy for key stakeholders to showcase the goals, progress and results of the Goalkeepers Youth Accelerator, including message development, social media content creation and media outreach
- Oversee packaging and dissemination of Goalkeepers Youth Accelerator project-related materials
Youth Engagement Support (50%)
- Provide communications support to the preparations and launch of the Young Activists Authors, Youth Action Team quarterly publications and Youth Assembly promotion
- Draft Youth Working Group newsletters and share youth related opportunities in social media
- Produce social media graphics and short videos using online tools
- Any other reasonable tasks deemed necessary.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Holding a degree/ qualification related to communications, graphic design
- A portfolio of previous work related to digital communications
- Interest and knowledge related to civil society, Sustainable Development Goals campaigns, activism and global issues
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Preference will be given to those who also have experience and skills in Digital Marketing, campaigning and online engagement.
- Experience using social media - especially Twitter, Facebook, Instagram
- Ability to communicate simply and clearly, with written and design skills
- Ability to work on a team
- Computer, internet, email, Microsoft office
- Excellent English language -spoken and written
- Fluency in another UN language (French, Spanish, Mandarin, Portuguese, Russian, or Arabic) – desirable
• Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work as part of a diverse team.
• A good communicator – someone with a passion for advancing the cause of civil society and human rights.
• Well-organised, with the ability to work independently.
• Ability to analyse complex sets of information and reveal trends.
• A commitment to improving respect for human rights.
Location: Any CIVICUS Hub, Johannesburg, SA preferred or with regular travel to Johannesburg
Start date: As soon as possible (Beginning of November)
Salary: US$3 333.00 (per month)
Duration: 14 months (December 2019)
To apply, please submit:
• A motivational letter;
• A detailed CV;
• Contact details of three current references