As a worldwide alliance of citizens and civil society organisations based in the global South, CIVICUS: World Alliance for Citizen Participation (CIVICUS) is committed to strengthening youth participation in civil society. At the CIVICUS Youth Assembly in September 2012, momentum gathered within the CIVICUS alliance to explore the creation of a new youth initiative. This brought a strong call for the creation of a representative Youth Advisory Group to help guide CIVICUS’ work on youth participation. CIVICUS is pleased to now issue an open call for applications from individuals to join our Youth Advisory Group.
About the Youth Advisory Group
The Advisory Group’s primary role will be to provide strategic, informed advice on how youth participation issues can be better mainstreamed in CIVICUS’ programmes, and on how CIVICUS can develop new activities to strengthen youth participation in civil society. Working with the support of the Youth Advisory Group, CIVICUS intends to build new partnerships and secure increased resources to scale up new initiatives on youth participation.
The Youth Advisory Group will be composed of between six and eight youth representatives. Members of the Group will not receive remuneration, and will be asked to contribute time or expertise on a voluntary basis to the CIVICUS alliance. For more information on the terms of reference, click here.
CIVICUS will recruit the Youth Advisory Group through an open and fair selection process. The following criteria will be used as far as possible to appoint members to the Group:
- Extent to which the applicant fits the person specification criteria (below);
- Gender balance;
- Regional and linguistic balance;
- Balance of thematic expertise and networks on specific issues related to youth participation and civil society.
- Strong youth representation
Applicants should ideally meet the following person specification criteria:
- Knowledge and experience of youth participation and civil society;
- Strong connections and relationships with youth organisations/activist movements and civil society;
- Demonstrable commitment and interest in working with the CIVICUS alliance
How to apply
If you are interested in applying to become a member of the CIVICUS Youth Advisory Group, please send a current CV/resume and motivation letter by Thursday 3 January 2013 to Natalie Akstein at .
The motivation letter should explain concisely:
- Why you wish to join the CIVICUS Youth Advisory Group
- What you believe you can contribute to the CIVICUS alliance
- How you meet the person specification criteria
Interviews are expected to be held on 8 January 2013.