The State of Civil Society 2011: Through an Artist's Lens
All you need is an eye for the visual and talent to present a complex and full year in a stimulating visual. Whether professional or amateur, young or old, we want to see your photos, artwork and designs that represent 2011 for civil society. Send your entry to by 9 January 2011.
CIVICUS: World Alliance for Citizen Participation is seeking the ‘design of the year’ for the cover of The State of Civil Society 2011 report. This inaugural annual report will be an overview of the state of civil society and the main issues it confronted in a year which was anything but quiet. From the first volleys of the Arab Spring in January to the calls for climate justice at COP17 in Durban in December, 2011 has been an epic year for civil society. This is your chance to help commemorate it!
The State of Civil Society 2011
This is a time of rapid change for civil society – many established civil society organisations are in crisis and there is rapid growth in new and alternative forms of civic activism – and there is a need for on-going analysis of trends in the sector. The State of Civil Society 2011 is a new initiative of CIVICUS: World Alliance for Citizen Participation. It will be the only annual report on the health and state of civil society, and the enabling environment for civil society, authored by the civil society sector itself. Key themes for the 2011 report include: the space for civil society, global governance, the funding environment, civil society in situations of crisis and participation and activism. Drawing on the CIVICUS network, including the landmark research of the Civil Society Index, this accessible report will be a collaboration of civil society from around the world.
The fine print
All entries must:
• Represent the overall theme of the report as described in the box above
• Reflect the global scope of the report
• Be 21.0cm wide by 29.7cm long (A4)
• Be available in electronic format (PDF, EPS or high resolution JPEG – min 300ppi)
• Be in colour or black and white
• Deadline for submitting an entry is 9 January 2011
• Include your name (as you would like to be recognised), country and, if appropriate, affiliation with your submission
• Multiple entries are accepted
• By submitting an entry, you give CIVICUS the copyright the design to use and modify as required for The State of Civil Society 2011. CIVICUS will provide artwork credit to the designer on any materials where the design is used.
Selection and recognition:
• A selection committee of CIVICUS staff and the report editorial committee will select the winning entry
• The winner will be notified by 25 January and announced on www.civicus.org. Due to the volume of entries expected, those who are not selected may not be individually notified.
• The winning entry will feature on the cover of the print and PDF/e-book version of The State of Civil Society 2011. A modified version of the winning entry may be used on the web version of the report. Artwork credit will be provided to the designer of the winning entry on all versions where it is used.
• CIVICUS may use entries not selected for the cover for other purposes related to advancing its mission of strengthening civil society and citizen action. CIVICUS will notify the designers of any entries used in this manner and provide the appropriate artwork credit.