From 2010 to 2012, the CIVICUS World Assembly is being co-hosted by the Institut du Nouveau Monde (INM) in Montreal, Canada. In 2013 CIVICUS is aiming to organise its 12th World Assembly in a country from the Global South, with a strong preference for a Francophone country. CIVICUS is inviting bids from interested organisations to partner with CIVICUS in co-hosting the World Assembly in 2013, also in partnership with INM.
We invite cities/countries to express their interest to host the 2013 CIVICUS World Assembly and Youth Assembly. We invite candidates to participate in the 2011 World Assembly in Montreal in September to meet the organising committee and learn more about the selection process of the next co-host.
- Demonstrate the joint intention from the government and civil society organisations to welcome and host the 2013 CIVICUS World Assembly and Youth Assembly
- Good track record in mobilising funds and capacity to raise sufficient funds to hold the 2013 Assembly
- Sufficient infrastructures and conference, communications and accommodation facilities to organise the Assembly (international airport, hotels, meeting rooms, technical capacities, participant security, public transport, conference venue services, telephone and internet access)
- Demonstrate the capacity to mobilise local and regional civil society for a large participation at the event
- Be able to organise a trilingual event (French, English, Spanish)
- CIVICUS members are particularly encouraged to apply
Interested applicants must express their interest in writing to the address below. Please confirm the following elements:
- Nature of applicants (government and civil society organisation)
- Contact persons for the application (2 persons)
- A brief presentation of the host country and city
- Explanation of the reasons for your application
- Preliminary list of potential sources of funding
- Option period to organise the event
All organisations interested in sending their application are invited to participate as observers to the 2011 CIVICUS World Assembly and Youth Assembly that will take place in Montreal, Canada, on 8-12 September 2011. We will be pleased to organise information sessions with you to help you prepare a proposal for the next steps of the process.
The final selection of the 2013 host city is planned for January 2012. The current Canadian host partner, the Institut du Nouveau Monde, will guarantee a handover process in 2012 with full support towards 2013.
Deadline: 15 October 2011